Mouth-Watering Vegan Mushroom Recipe
The latest in my series of healthy vegan recipes is a vegan mushroom recipe that makes a delicious appetizer, or you could make a meal by putting the stuffed mushrooms on a bed of greens or grains.
Mushrooms, as a relatively solitary representative in our diet from the fungi family, bring a very different nutrient profile from most other vegetables. They are thought of as an important component of healing in Chinese medicine.
Prep Time: 10 min. Cooking time: 35-40 min. Time from start to eating: 45-50 min. Makes enough for 12 mushrooms.
Healthy Vegan Mushroom Recipe Ingredients
12 large mushrooms
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
2 Tbsp red or white wine
3 Tbsp water
1 bunch fresh spinach leaves, chopped
Sea salt to taste
1/4 cup ground toasted almonds
Pepper & salt to taste
2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
Healthy Vegan Mushroom Recipe Directions
1. Pull the stems off the mushrooms, chop them, and set them aside. Brush any dirt off the mushroom tops.
2. Saute the chopped onion in olive oil in a large pan until translucent, and then add the garlic along with the chopped thyme and mushroom stems.
3. After the stems are soft, deglaze the pan with wine (red or white gives an exceedingly different flavor, but whatever you prefer), and then add water.
4. Put the mushrooms in pan, tops down, and spoon a bit of the juice over them. Let them simmer in the liquid for about 5 minutes.
5. As they simmer, grind the toasted almonds in a blender, coffee grinder, or food processor. In a small bow, mix the ground almonds with salt, pepper and, or as desired, nutritional yeast. You can also use pre-ground almonds for this recipe, but they won’t have as much flavor.
6. Take the mushrooms from the pan, and then add the spinach into the pan. Sprinkle with some salt, letting the spinach to just wilt.
7. Take the pan off the stove, and then stir in the almond mixture.
8. Line the mushroom caps up in a single layer after filling it with the almond-wine-mixture on a baking dish, and then bake in a preheated oven for15-20 minutes at about 350 degrees F. The mushrooms should start to turn golden, while the stuffing will turn to brown.
If you want to learn more about healthy vegan mushroom recipe and would like my latest recipes, go here: best vegan recipes.