How do you react when your plans fall thru? Do you roll with the punches? Or does anxiety keep you from enjoying life? To a great degree, our personality defines how we cope with stress in our lives, but here are 5 things to help keep your stress under control:
1. Sleep more. It’s very common in our society to be on less than 6 hours asleep a night. But professionals keep telling us we need at least 8 hours. Not simply to rest our bodies, but to rejuvenate our minds. “Tired” and “cranky” appear to go hand in hand. Do not use your bedroom to observe the news or finish up some work from the office. Make that room your haven, a place to chill and escape the day. Have a hot mug of tea, take a warm bath, or read a paperback to help you unwind.
2. Have religion. Saying a short prayer in times of stress can give you a feeling of calm, particularly when the circumstances are one you actually have no control over. Studies have shown that folk who trust in a higher power have lower blood pressure. Having the ability to pardon folks also can affect your blood pressure. Holding a grudge isn't good for your health!
3. Turn it off. The convenience that cell phones have added to our lives can essentially be a double-edged blade. We rely on them so much it looks we can't live without them. This increased accessibility means not only can our loved ones reach us at any point, but so can work. If your employer legitimately needs to have your mobile phone number, make sure you set clear limits on when you can and can't be reached. Your time off is yours.
4. Take a holiday. It doesn't need to be a fancy holiday resort. A day at the beach or an afternoon at the park will do. Just anywhere you can be and not consider the bills, work, or whatever tensions you may have. It is crucial to take time for yourself, so do it! You’ll feel better with a fresh outlook.
5. Treat yourself. Join up to a yoga class at your local gymnasium or community center. The expenses are nominal, and you’ll feel more relaxed after even just one session. A once a month massage or a spa treatment is also a great way to recharge. You may walk out feeling like 1,000,000 dollar bowl of jelly.
Stress is certain. But what we do about it is up to us. Play around with these suggestions and see what does it for you!
Are you hunting for additional information like this? Stress Busters.