As a fitness instructor I am often asked about how to lose weight as fast as possible. Usually this question arrives from women looking to drop a dress size for an important event or wedding, and quite often their need for a ‘gimmick’ and their lack of interest in anything which isn’t going to provide overnight success is what prevents them from reaching their goal. We know people who have literally spent two years trying to lose weight instantly.
Here are a few very basic and easy to follow rules which will help anybody to drop some unwanted poundage from their waistline.
* Okay first of all if you are trying to cut weight you need to consume less calories than you do now. Sounds simple, right? That’s the basic rule. If you’re not sure how many calories you currently eat per day keep a food diary for the next two days and develop an average between the two days consumption.
* Secondly, protein has less impact on fat storage than carbs or fats so if you fancy a snack, protein up.
* Losing weight takes willpower. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t help yourself out whenever you can with a little unfair trick or two. You are easily more vulnerable to a fatty snack when you are halfway through a monster shift at your job and do not have any convenient tasty healthy food at hand. Take three-to-four small snack tubs in your back pack with you to work each day. Pack them with a protein rich snack. The calories won’t be very high given the size of the actual tub, but the protein will fend off all hunger and have far less impact on your body’s fat storage systems than a chocolate bar. Plus you’ll actually feel better.
* Fourth comes the tried and tested carb deficit. The basic rule when cutting down on bad carbs and bad fats is to also increase your protein intake. If you fail to do this you will hit a wall and find it impossible to lose any more weight after a couple of weeks.
* Last but certainly not least is our most important rule. Take a day off each week. Whether you want to or not, it’s a good move. Why? Because something as simple as a day off allows you to do two very important things….
Temptation is our worst enemy when dieting, so it makes a lot of valid sense to take a day off each week. Label it a ‘reward’ or ‘treat’ if you wish, but basically this will help you to stick to your program for far longer. If you have ever known someone attempt a diet plan and fall spectacularly off the rails after about 3 weeks you’ll know this makes perfect sense.
If you have had difficulty staying on a diet in the past you will absolutely love this one tip in particular. In fact this is the reason so many people fail. They cut out their favorite foods and punish themselves for wanting a better body. You don’t have to. That approach leads nowhere fast. Keep enjoying your day off. Sometimes just knowing you have it coming up is enough to stop you from binge eating during the week.
No matter whether you just want to drop a dress size or if you want to change your life completely, these simple facts are the basis of any successful long-term diet. Not only will you lose weight, but you will lose it quickly because the changes you are making are scientifically backed up without any need for gimmicks or miracle products. Better still, once gone the weight will actually stay off this time.
About the writer: Russ Howe PTI is a fitness instructor who teaches people how to lose weight each day in the gym. Catch his walkthrough to high intensity fat loss with his what is hiit walkthrough and achieve your peak physique..